It is believed that Kinosaki Onsen dates back to about 1400 years ago. The first appearance of
Kinosaki Onsen on a document was in Kokinwakashu(Collection of Ancient and Modern Japanese
Poetry)，which included a tanka composed by Fujiwarano Kanesuke about Kinosaki Onsen. It seems
that Kinosaki was a place for relaxation for Heian Nobles.
During the Ansei years(1854-1860) at the end of Edo period，Sahei Nishimura the first，who moved from Wakasa Province to Kinosaki，obtained the former Kumihana magistrate's office， located next to the Gosho-no-Yu public bathhouse. Then he opened the Nishimuraya ryokan on that spot. Since then，Nishimuraya has been beloved by many people for approximately 150 years，as an"inn ofrelaxation."